Whisper / Video / 2010
- the earth’s top layer, the land surface where plants grow and which is composed of disintegrated rock particles, humus, water, and air
- a type of this material having specific characteristics: loamy soil
- land, country, or region: one’s native soil
- the soil, life and work on a farm; land: he belonged to the soil, as his forefathers had
- any place or thing encouraging growth or development
Etymology: 14th Century: from Anglo-Norman, from Latin solium a seat, but confused with Latin solum the ground.